Event Info: Tue., Aug. 14, 2018 – 6 to 7:30pm
New Educational Event
Spanish in the Americas
Save your seat today for the webinar.
This training will examine the major dialects of Spanish spoken in the Americas and their manifestations in the Spanish spoken in the United States. The training will provide an overview of the key dialectal differences focusing primarily on pronunciation and lexical variation. The training will provide interpreters with strategies to recognize and assess dialect differences in Spanish.
- Introduce basic linguistic concepts as framework (descriptive vs. prescriptive language, language variation, linguists’ use of ‘dialect’)
- Familiarize participants with the main dialects of American Spanish
- Examine differences in Spanish varieties (phonological, lexical, regional vs. ethnic/cultural)
- Review common ambiguities encountered in multi-dialectal interactions
- Introduce strategies to recognize and assess dialect differences in Spanish
Where: Online Via GoToWebinar (webinar link emailed immediately after registration)
When: Tuesday, August 14, 2018 6:00 PM – 7:30 PM (EST)
Accredited by: CCHI/CEAP, RID/ACET, IMIA, and Washington State DSHS
About the Trainer: Glenn Martinez PhD MPH, is professor of hispanic linguistics and director of the Center for Languages Literatures and Cultures at The Ohio State University. Dr. Martinez received a PhD in Hispanic Linguistics from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst and an MPH in border health from the Texas A&M School of Public Health. His research focuses on the sociolinguistic dimensions of Spanish in the United States and language policy and practice in health care settings. He is the author of Mexican Americans and Language (U of Arizona Press, 2006) and Spanish in Healthcare: Policy, Pedagogy and Practice (Routledge, Forthcoming).
Martti is a Cloudbreak Health Innovation.
This email was sent to you by Martti.
1103 Schrock Road, Suite 200, Columbus, OH 43229
© 2017 Cloudbreak, LLC